Saturday, December 12, 2009

SCC: Day 6

Another near-napless day for a baby girl...the early signs of meltdown started up, so it's off to bed at 8:30....time for some cookie love.

Lessons & observations from today:
- Apparently my baby daughter likes peanutbutter cookies.
- All this baking keeps making me think that candied fruit, coconut, and chocolate chips should be as much a part of my stockpile as flour....sort of like working at a university raises the constant temptation to get a PhD, I suppose. Candied fruit would be cheaper, as environmental pressures go....
- I apparently do not keep a supply of waxed paper, but I probably should.

I found the (nearly) perfect recipe for my current constraints: cherry cream cheese cookies. One egg, powdered sugar, and a way to use the maraschino cherries I found while cleaning out the fridge today. I substituted sliced almonds for the coconut, and Andes mints for chocolate chips. The end results look like the best ones yet -- the overall yield was more like 4 dozen than 5.5, but that always seems to happen to me. I also ran out of topping -- hard to estimate over so broad a range, and the almond made the scoops more generous & less precise anyway.

So, now we have chocolate crinkles, lemon bars, cheesecake bars, peanut butter cookies, date fingers (more like filled pastry thingys....super for breakfast), and cherry cheese shortbreads. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment